Saturday, October 09, 2010

NorCal thus far...

Story Number One.
When I wear one of my Israeli t-shirts or my Ayelet necklace, I frequently get comments from strangers.  Checking in at the Southwest counter in L.A. on Thursday night, one of the attendants started talking to me very excitedly.  "Oh, were you in the Israeli Navy?  What's your Jewish name?  Mine is Rachel.  I'm named after a dead relative because you can't be named after a live one.  When do we get our Jewish names?  At our Bas Mitzvah? I can't remember now!  Did you like it?  I don't care what religion you are, there is just something special about Jerusalem, with the four gates.  The Dome of the Rock...where Jesus walked...symbolism...four major religions [where did she get the fourth religion?]...loved it...special place..."
As I was struggling under her deluge of words and enthusiasm, I did manage to bob to the surface and tell her that I had studied in Israel, I was in fact a Christian, I got my nickname from my professor, etc.  I took my boarding pass from the other attendant and headed down the very small terminal to my gate...after I tried to go the wrong way. :P



Story Number Two.
On Friday the little kids and I went to Lincoln to visit Audra and Ethan.  Brenda decided to comment on the fact that I kept driving, so she couldn't write what she wanted to.  I told her that I could drop her off on the sidewalk and she would have a lot of time to draw!  Luke said he would be dropped off, too.

Luke - "If anyone would come up and touch you, I'd say [menacing tone] 'watch out for the big dog.'" (You know where this is going...)
Brenda - "And a big dog comes out and attacks him..."
Luke - "No, the big dog is me!  Ruff ruff ruff!  I'd jump on him and throw him against the car!!"
Brenda - "You'd try to..."
Jennica - [insert comment on being nice to Luke]
Luke - "No, I would.  I have skills."

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I miss working with little kids--they're hilarious! More stories, more stories!