Saturday, October 19, 2013

A good apple crisp recipe, finally

I've tried lots of apple crisps, but I've rarely tasted a good one.  Enter the Smitten Kitchen cookbook!  This apple crisp is the best, mainly because of the topping.  The topping is made by melting butter on the stove and stirring in the other ingredients (sugar, flour, oats, etc.) one at a time; you end up with a cooked, rather buttery topping.  So good!  I changed the recipe by making the filling with apples instead of apricots and adding some cinnamon.

The author suggests that you make this and eat it cold with yogurt, which Amos and I did this week.  I thought it was great, but Amos wasn't a fan of them together; he said he would eat them separately, though. :)

Now a second crisp is in the oven, in anticipation of seeing some NE friends tomorrow.  I hope they like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love smitten kitchen dearly. Austin teases me about looking at that blog so often. :)