Quite a while ago, I was told by a friend that I was opinionated. I thought to myself, I don't really like that and I don't think that is true. The term opinionated seems to imply that you don't really think about what you believe. You just hold onto your views dogmatically. You don't care if a good argument is presented that may show your belief to be immature or incomplete or unwise. You are going to believe what you believe, and no one else's opinions or ideas matter.
In recent months I have found myself more willing to listen to others and to change my thinking if necessary. Therefore, I have an opinion, but I am willing to listen to reason. This is the way you learn. You allow yourself to consider other opinions on various matters. You thoughtfully weigh the options and decide on one, to the best of your ability.
I was trying to think of a biblical example of this, and I finally thought of the Bereans. The Bereans didn't just accept what Paul said concerning salvation. Rather, they took what he said and compared it to Scripture. It is important for Christians to do the same thing. We need to take what has been said and proposed and compare it to biblical principles. This is also a way to have a good testimony, to be willing to listen to others.
opinion
a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in one person's mind about a particular matter www.iclasses.org/assets/literature/literary_glossary.cfm
opinionated
obstinate in your opinions
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
obstinate
stubborn: tenaciously unwilling or marked by tenacious unwillingness to yield
contrary: resistant to guidance or discipline
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
No comments:
Post a Comment