Monday, November 17, 2008

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

So a while ago Amos and I saw a few trailers for "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," brought to Amos' attention by Paul Parker (friend and fellow security guard). Since the movie was about a little German boy befriending a Jewish boy in a work camp during World War II, we figured we had to go see it, since it was connected to Israel and all that. ;) So I finished my lesson plan for tomorrow (!) and we headed over the smoky freeways to West Hills, one of the many suburbs of Los Angeles.
I was expecting an interesting story about two little boys who become friends and teach some lesson about friendship and understanding in the midst of horrible world events. I guess that was part of the whole experience, but it really had a greater, more lasting (I hope) impact on me.
The whole film was about disillusionment. About what happens when people stand by and do nothing in the face of evil, or worse, when they support and help the evil along its course. At various points in the movie, the father sits by and does not stop evil. Later, the little German boy betrays his friend. At another point, the mother decides to do something but is stopped by the father. Another character instigates evil out of frustration. (I know this is very vague, but I want all my readers to watch it; thus, no spoilers.)
It was not really a pleasant movie, but it was an excellent movie. It was definitely worth it. I came away with the thought, "I never want to be the one to betray."

http://dearcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/boy-in-stripped-pyjama.jpg

Another review of the movie

No comments: