Thursday, July 02, 2009

Creepy Crawlies

Yes, readers, that is a centipede...and yes, that is my Nalgene for perspective. It seems like, since I came home about 5 weeks ago, every spider and bug has come out to greet me.
Now I know that my bumper sticker says that I am a spider killer. This is true. I guess this is just case-in-point that spiders 1) can't read or 2) don't understand warnings.

I can't count how many spiders, bugs, and flies I have killed since I came home. This is not to say that my house is dirty or anything. But it is summertime. These bugs decide that they want the A/C, too, or that they want to go on vacation, or something, so they come on in!
And I am ready for them.
I just wish they would go away.
Any way, about the centipede. I was on facebook, talking to a friend, when I heard a scratching sound. I looked down to see the end of a 3-inch long centipede disappear under the keyboard!
--HOLD ON!!!!!!! 3 INCH LONG CENTIPEDE JUST CRAWLED ACROSS THE DESK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--
Thus began the assault on the unsuspecting creature. Pretty soon the thing crawled out from under the keyboard and and proceeded to hide under the computer modem. I considered calling the customer assistance number on the computer but wasn't sure that it would be helpful.
I tried to kind of slide the annoyance out from under the modem with a piece of paper, but he wouldn't cooperate. So I ran down the hallway to get my camera and my Nalgene for perspective. I managed to get the insect to come out from under the computer. I snapped a picture then retrieved the trash can from the bathroom and attempted to push the offending party off the desk with some TP.
He wouldn't have it.
He held on to the desk and the TP with his little legs as he bent over backwards from the edge of the desk, struggling not to get canned.
Gravity took its toll, and the villain fell. I made sure he was actually in the trash and hadn't escaped onto the floor again, and then promptly flushed him.
I have no idea how the miniature monster got into the house and up onto the desk without me seeing him. After all, he was huge!
Oh well, the adventure is over.
I just hope he didn't bring his siblings along when he entered the house......

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi, Jennica - Found your blog through my friend Jenica's blog, and I have to tell you that this story cracked me up. Made me cringe, for sure, but it made me laugh because that's SO how I handle weird situations now. 1)Grab camera. 2)Consider how to blog about it. 3)Deal with the actual situation.

Bravo, for the post AND for dealing with that big old ugly thing. I hate those things.

Anonymous said...

Lol!!!!