Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cars and such...

The other day, my car wouldn't start, right as I had to leave for tutoring. (Surprise surprise!) A nice neighbor tried to help me, but he couldn't get it to start either. small michelle came home early from her errands to take me to tutoring; she came back later to pick me up. I tried my car again when I got home, but no, it would not start.
The next day, Amos came over and helped me with my car. Of course, with Amos standing there, the car worked. Stupid thing. :P However, we decided to check the battery and various fluids, just in case. He popped the lid off of the battery and filled it with water. I hoped it would be fine after that, but no. About a week later, my car once again refused to start.
And I had to go to work.
And no one was home to help me out.
I pushed my car back and forth, hoping something would shift around and let my car start.
Nope, nothing.
I called Amos, waking him up. He mumbled a little bit and said he would be over as soon as he could to take me to work. It was really nice, in a roundabout way, that his work had been rescheduled because of a sick coworker. What a good boyfriend! :)
I pushed my car back into two parking spaces and left a note explaining why my car was double-parked.
Amos showed up half-awake but cheerful in a few minutes and took me to work, where the students were not too happy to see me, the substitute, again. He picked me up from work at 12:30 (it was a minimum day), and we went to see if we could jumpstart my car.
No, of course not.
Of course my car did not want to cooperate.
So I chose a towing company and waited for the driver to show up. While we waited, Amos hugged me and told me it would be okay; this car-is-being-dumb-and-now-has-to-be-fixed problem was a very frustrating, especially when I don't have a lot of extra money lying around. Though I'm not helpless, it was very nice to have him there.
I had my car towed to my favorite car shop down here. The owner is a nice, honest, helpful Christian from Ireland, and his employees are great, too. Amos and I followed in his car.
I had to pay the towing company upfront, but he didn't have any change for my cash. I ended up running down the street to a dry cleaners for change.
Amos and I left my car at the shop then headed to Master's. I used the copier/scanner machine in the library so that I could send my insurance company a copy of the receipt in order to be reimbursed for the towing costs. Amos then had me drop him off at home. Amos had me keep his car so I could tutor, hang out with my friend Melyndee, and go to work the next day.
The next day I went to work, picked up Amos, and went to get my car. We came back to my apartment, had dinner, then headed out to Kohl's (I had a $10.00 coupon). I got a sweatshirt, and Amos wandered around, pretending not to mind all the time I was taking (just kidding; he said he didn't mind).
We also went to Target. I had a fun time pointing out crazy-looking/ugly pillows. Amos showed me a dinosaur-shaped cupcake pan.
It was a lot of fun.
And it will be okay.
I have a good boyfriend.

UPDATE: You can read Amos' version of the story here. Reading it, I'm reminded that God had it all worked out. It wasn't Amos who fixed my problem, but God used Amos, his sick coworker Dennis, and all the other stuff we will never see, to help me. Whoa. I'm not proud enough to think that God fixed it only for me, but I'm thankful that my small problems and I were taken care of in such a way. God really does love me, for some strange reason. And I, for one, am so glad He does.

No comments: