Friday was an interesting day. I had just been hired for a long-term substitute position on Wednesday, so on Friday I headed down to the main office to pick up paperwork. I then drove all over L.A. to get a physical, TB test, and live scan done. I wasn’t feeling well, and I was very tense because I had to drive my friend’s car with a very stiff clutch and low visibility. (My car was in the shop.)
| One of my favorites 'cuz I look so happy. :) |
After managing to get most things done, I came back to Master’s to get Amos. Amos was working on a paper in the library, but he was done and we needed to pick up my car. I figured that I would get to spend the rest of the day with him because we were both done with our other stuff.
J: “Now what?”
A: “Ummmm, I have to go home after we get your car.”
A: “Ummmm, I have to go home after we get your car.”
J: “Oh. What do you have to do at home?”
A: “Stuuuuuff.”
J: -very quiet-
As I said before, I was not feeling well, plus I was tired. I was also stressed out from driving my friend’s car and not knowing what to do about my car, which had not passed smog and needed a new catalytic converter (lame + lots of money). I also really wanted to hang out with Amos because I don’t get to see him as much now. So of course, I started crying (not that much, though; I was tired.)
We decided that Amos would go do his stuff (he needed “to go to Chatsworth to get something”) and I would take a nap. Amos would pick up the bulletins we needed to stuff for church and then call me when he was back at my apartment.
So I went to bed and slept for an hour and a half, which is rare for me. Amos called, and I went to let him in. It turned out that my roommate had already let him, and he was sitting on the couch! We sat on the couch and talked for a little while then Amos asked me if I wanted to go on a walk.
| Awwwwwww... |
I agreed, thinking this was odd since I still wasn’t feeling quite right, but I thought I should take him up on it since he asked (and I figured he had a plan).
Our usual back and forth:
J: “What do you want to do?”
A: “Ummm, I don’t know. What do you want to do?”
J: “Well, we could walk to the little park?”
A: “Yeah, we could do that.”
J: “How far do you want to walk?”
J: “How far do you want to walk?”
A: “Oh, I don’t know.”
After this usual exchange, Amos suggested we go to Bridgeport , a little residential area with a manmade lake/pond. We’ve walked around this little lake a billion times, and I suppose we’ll walk around it a billion times more. We sat under a little tree in September 2008 and had a two-plus hour DTR. We didn’t want to jump into a dating relationship just to have fun. We talked about our long-term goals and some of our responsibilities. When Amos dropped me off at Aptartment 29, I asked him, “So, are we dating?”
We were. :)
Thus began some of the craziest years of my yet-young life.
| Haha! Protecting me from the sun... |
That’s where we went on Friday.
Amos and I walked around the lake and laughed at the ducks. We walked out on one of the piers. By this point I was pretty sure he was going to propose. (Why didn’t he tell me what he was getting in Chatsworth? Why were we going on a walk? What about that e-mail I saw a few weeks ago?) I wondered what would happen if the ring dropped into the water! Amos did not propose there, though.
The two of us kept walking around the lake, having a good time and saying a lot of “I love you!”s. I rather unromantically declared I needed to go to the restroom, which meant we had to go back home because there are no restrooms around, since it’s a residential area, not a park.
| Awwwww, he's so cute! |
I hugged him, and he hugged me back.
I can’t remember what all was said, but I’m sure it was something like “I love you” and other sweet stuff. :)
A: “You’re my sweetheart.”
J: “Mmmmmhmmmmm.”
A: “For always?”
J: -pause- “I think so…yeah”
A: “I have something for you.”
J: “What is it?” (hehe. ;) )
J: “What is it?” (hehe. ;) )
A: -pause- “A present.” ;)
J: “Oh, okay.”
Amos pulled out a small box and opened it (with one hand, by the way; I was holding his other arm). Of course there was the sparkle. :)
J: “This is crazy.”
A: “Will you marry me?”
J: “This is crazy.”
“Are you sure?”
“Are you sure?”
I said yes in there somewhere and hugged Amos some more.
J: “It looks pretty.”
A: “I think it’s pretty.”
J: “Are you going to put it on?”
A: “I think it’s pretty.”
J: “Are you going to put it on?”
I took off my purity ring and stashed it in my pocket. Amos will get to keep that one day. :)
Amos took the ring out of the box and put it on my finger, and we were engaged! :)
4 comments:
So excited for you!! What a wonderful engagement story!!!!
How beautiful! So you and SO Amos!
God bless! Married life is AMAZING!
Thank you for sharing the story. I was hoping you would soon. :)
Congratulations! Here's to new beginnings!
Post a Comment