Friday, October 21, 2011

Henry

Henry is the newest addition to the Ralston household.

Henry.  He even got the blue and green memo!
As you can see, he is a very nice plant of the sage variety.  I've wanted a sage plant for a long time.  I grew a tiny specimen from a sage seed when I lived at Aptartment 29 (three years ago!), and it did pretty well until I put it outside in the hot blazing sun.  The poor little plant was not prepared for SoCal's heat and quickly shriveled up.

I wanted a sage plant because you can use the leaves to make really good tea.  When I was in Jordan five and half years ago, we had tea every morning at our hostel.  The tea was very good except for the day that I found a pincher bug taking a float in the tea pot.  My friends and I asked the hostel owner what the brand of tea was and then wandered Wadi Mousa till we found some.  I bought the biggest box that the little convenience store had (195 teabags), but I didn't use them fast enough.  I threw about half of them away yesterday because they were so bitter it really took away from the taste.  I kept the cardboard box and several of the tags from the teabags, though.

Last Sunday I went to the grocery store and found a new box of Ceylon tea, though sadly and understandably, it was not the same brand.  Amos and I had some tea on Tuesday or Wednesday before we went to Home Depot and bought Henry.  I've resisted the temptation to water him; apparently he only needs a little water to survive.

Henry makes very good tea.

Jordanian Tea
Ceylon tea
A lot sugar
A few fresh sage leaves (summer) OR
A few fresh mint leaves (winter)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May Henry live a long and productive life!

Jennica - Ayelet said...

Henry says, "Thank you! I shall try my hardest to photosynthesize well."