Our little, white Toyota died two weeks ago. I dropped off Amos at work, took two right turns and a left, and heard a sickening, grinding crunch. Our car was dead. Goodbye, little transmission!
Our friend Megan immediately hopped in her car and took me to work, where I told my woes to my instructional assistant, Linda. Linda gave me a ride down the hill and around the corner to Enterprise, where I rented a car for a really good price. Later that day John and Cami lent us their Taurus, allowing us to return the rental car (good riddance; did not like that rental car). Thus began the two-week trial of test driving cars, listening to salesmen's spiels, getting financing, and finding a car within our price range. We finally found one at a little used car lot staffed by a very friendly and helpful manager, Brian. Amos let me drive the new car home last night, which was great and really fun, in spite of a long, freeway detour on surface streets. Even that wouldn't have been that bad if I hadn't imbibed so much water, tea, and Gatorade yesterday, haha!
Now we have our little car, and here are some pictures! The journey isn't over quite yet, though. Amos just called to say that our loan didn't work out the way we expected, so we have to do more paperwork to correct that (it's okay, it will just take a little longer to get everything squared away; always read the fine print!).
A few of our friends have named their cars (weird). Cami's Taurus is named Dory after the forgetful fish on "Finding Nemo." Courtney named her hybrid Prius Priscilla. Luke's green Honda is called Elliot after "Pete's Dragon," and Danielle's Corolla is named Ebenezer, because God worked in a miraculous way to provide that car at just the right time. Mom is the only one in my family who ever called a car by a name and then only sporadically. She would encourage one of our cars or vans to chug up hills by saying, "Come on, Bessie!!!"
Amos and I do not name our cars. However, I told Amos that we should call our car He Who Must Not Be Named*, just to be funny and snarky. Haha! We'll see if it actually sticks.
*He Who Must Not Be Named is another title for Voldemort, the villain in the Harry Potter books
Our friend Megan immediately hopped in her car and took me to work, where I told my woes to my instructional assistant, Linda. Linda gave me a ride down the hill and around the corner to Enterprise, where I rented a car for a really good price. Later that day John and Cami lent us their Taurus, allowing us to return the rental car (good riddance; did not like that rental car). Thus began the two-week trial of test driving cars, listening to salesmen's spiels, getting financing, and finding a car within our price range. We finally found one at a little used car lot staffed by a very friendly and helpful manager, Brian. Amos let me drive the new car home last night, which was great and really fun, in spite of a long, freeway detour on surface streets. Even that wouldn't have been that bad if I hadn't imbibed so much water, tea, and Gatorade yesterday, haha!
Now we have our little car, and here are some pictures! The journey isn't over quite yet, though. Amos just called to say that our loan didn't work out the way we expected, so we have to do more paperwork to correct that (it's okay, it will just take a little longer to get everything squared away; always read the fine print!).
A few of our friends have named their cars (weird). Cami's Taurus is named Dory after the forgetful fish on "Finding Nemo." Courtney named her hybrid Prius Priscilla. Luke's green Honda is called Elliot after "Pete's Dragon," and Danielle's Corolla is named Ebenezer, because God worked in a miraculous way to provide that car at just the right time. Mom is the only one in my family who ever called a car by a name and then only sporadically. She would encourage one of our cars or vans to chug up hills by saying, "Come on, Bessie!!!"
Amos and I do not name our cars. However, I told Amos that we should call our car He Who Must Not Be Named*, just to be funny and snarky. Haha! We'll see if it actually sticks.
Our little 2007 Hyundai Elantra, manual transmission, 82,000 miles:
He Who Must Not Be Named
| Just waiting on the "I kill my own SPIDERS" bumper sticker |
| Wow, it looks so nice! |
2 comments:
Great little car! I like Elantras. And for the record, I name my cars too. They are all Jeeves. :) It "suits" my current car particularly well, as it is black, and Jeeves was always in his sharply pressed tuxedo...
Miss you!!! :) Hug.
-Lizbeth
You should name him Nameless! :-D
- Sherrie
Post a Comment