My friend Heather recently posted a recipe for maqloobeh, an Arabic dish. I wanted to try it, but I wasn't sure how long it would take or what it would taste like. Plus, when I looked up other versions of maqloobeh, each recipe seemed to list different ways of cooking the ingredients (apparently it is a very versatile food). After debating which recipe to use and how to create this dish which would hopefully taste good, I decided to combine the recipe for maqloobeh with my memories of chicken biryani, which Amos and I had in Bangalore last summer. I know I like Indian spices; I'm not so sure about Middle Eastern (though I'm sure I would like it if Heather made it...I just didn't want to take that chance myself, haha!). This is my inexact-but-still-usable recipe combining the two. Enjoy!
Maqloobeh/Chicken Biryani
Cayenne pepper
Maqloobeh/Chicken Biryani
1
1/2 - 2 cups rice (I used 1/2 cup white rice, 1 cup brown Jasmine rice)
1
onion, diced
1
bell pepper, diced
1 - 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast, diced
1-2
tomatoes, sliced
1/2
baked potato, sliced
1 cup chicken
broth/beef broth
Pulao
masala (NOT curry powder; get this at an international grocery store)
Salt
Cinnamon
Black pepper
Garlic
powder
Ginger
powder
Cardamom
Cilantro
Add
water to the rice. Rinse carefully till
water is almost clear. Drain most of the
water and leave the rice for now.
Set
the bell peppers in a small bowl.
Cook
the onions over medium heat till barely soft and light golden in butter and oil in a pot with a fitted lid; set aside in a
bowl.
Pour
1 tablespoon oil in pot. Add 1/2
tablespoon pulao masala, 1 teaspoon salt, a few dashes black pepper, one tiny
dash cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon ginger and
cardamom. Mix with the oil till
fragrant, 1-3 minutes, over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons water if necessary to
prevent burning; keep stirring.
Add
chicken pieces to pot. Stir to coat; chicken should be well-coated. Keep
stirring, cook till chicken is mostly white, about 4 minutes.
Turn off heat.
Mix
1 teaspoon pulao masala, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a little garlic powder, and a little cinnamon to wet rice. Stir to coat. Set aside
Add
onions on top of chicken. Add bell
peppers. Add tomato slices. Add rice.
Shake carefully to settle (do NOT stir!). Add broth, then
water till 1 cm above rice. Add potato
slices.
Over high heat, bring
to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/medium
low; liquid should be simmering rapidly but not boiling. Cover and cook till water is absorbed.
Flip
carefully onto a plate/platter/serving dish.
Leave for a few minutes before removing pan.
Sprinkle generously with cilantro. Serve with plain
yogurt. Add more salt and cilantro if needed.
Takes about 40ish minutes
Serves 4
No comments:
Post a Comment