Sunday, May 05, 2013

Cats, ants, and coffee grounds

I did it.  I finally picked up a free bag of coffee grounds.  Starbucks provides these huge packages of used coffee grounds for enterprising people like me who are trying to get rid of pests.  (Okay, maybe the grounds are really for gardens...maybe.)

Amos and I have a narrow sideyard/patch of dirt that runs the length of our house and leads to our backyard.  Unfortunately, the neighborhood cats think that our sideyard is their litterbox.  Our manager comes along and rakes it out every once in a while, but still...who wants to smell cat waste every time they walk to or from their car?!  Not I!

I went to the grocery store after church today to get some cereal, and when I walked in the door, I looked to the left and saw the little Starbucks kiosk.  Aha!  I wouldn't have to visit an actual Starbucks store and awkwardly grab a bag and run; I could just get the grounds here!  I lugged the moist bag, which threatened to empty its contents at any moment, around the store and back to my car.

After arriving home, I brought the package inside and let it be while I mixed up some bagels.  Leaving the bagels to rise, I stepped back outside to survey my weapons: leaf rake, garden trowel, coffee grounds.  I chopped up the dirt with the trowel, raked the dirt back and forth a bit, and got my hands very dirty spreading out the grounds.  Here's hoping the local cats don't like coffee!  I'm also hoping it will take care of the really annoying, tiny, red grease ants that keep popping up in our kitchen.  Come on, coffee!  "Fulfill your ministry!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are for gardens...but I hope they work for you! :)

I will try to respond to your question about Marin's book by e-mail this week. It's a good question.