Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Why I don't like (most) chick flicks

My roommates were watching a chick flick yesterday, and quite honestly, I found the movie very annoying.  The movie was "Bride Wars" with those two girls...ummm, Anne Hathaway and Whats Herface... (I have to look at the box) oh, Kate Hudson.  I was taking a nap in my room for part of the movie, I watched little bits here and there, and then I hid in my room with a book.  So annoying.
Now don't get me wrong, I do like some chick flicks.  I like "Sweet Home Alabama," "The Women," and "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton," plus a few others.  I like those three each for a different reason, but  that's beside the point.

Here's why I don't like (most) chick flicks:
1. The girls are almost always stupid.
-In "Bride Wars," the girls attack each other in mean, spiteful ways just to get what they want.  And then they make up at the end (of course) and nothing has changed (really?!).
-In "Leap Year," Amy Adams keeps assuming that the nice guy is doing nice things for her just to get something from her.
-Somehow the bad girls and/or bad guys turn good, and because of it, they get the person they want.
2. The movies are not realistic.
-You can't just pick up where you left off; there are a lot of hurt feelings to work through even after you forgive someone.
-There is no such thing as fairy tale romance.  Love takes work.
-The "perfect guy" does not exist.
-The "perfect girl" does not exist.
-You never see the hard, boring, day-to-day stuff in chick flicks.
-One incident changes everything.
-You meet someone and one week later get married.
3. The girls in the movies are not realistic.
-Everyone has bad hair days.
-No one can be that cute, that poised, that friendly, that whatever, all the time.
-I never want to meet the girls in those movies because they are usually jerks.
4. Chick flicks can make you discontent, if you let them.
-Why can't my life be like that?
-Why can't I look like that?
-Why don't they have any problems?
5. Chick flicks nowadays tend to have sketchy scenes.
-Apparently you can't know if you like someone/if the relationship will work unless you sleep with them.
-Apparently no one is interested in watching a sweet movie if it doesn't have some scene in it.
-Apparently girls like seeing their counterparts engage in this behavior?
-Apparently this is normal and not something to be ashamed of.  Am I the only one who squirms at this stuff?

I think chick flicks are annoying because...
-that will never be me.
-that is not real life.
-the characters are stupid.
-I think about them too much.

Anyway, this is not very carefully thought out and it sounds like I'm ranting, but that's my input. :)

2 comments:

Durbanville said...

A big, fat, and hearty AMEN!!!

Durbanville said...

(with frizzy hair)