Friday, January 09, 2009

What Gunner Learned

Gunner is the Dean of Men at The Master's College, which is where I graduated from in May and where I am currently getting my teaching credential. He used to be an RD of the off-campus guys' dorm, which was pretty cool, I hear. I know a bunch of the guys who lived there, and they are all cool, too. I actually stayed in that dorm for two weeks while taking 6 units of post-session classes after my freshman year of college. (The on-campus dorms were being worked on.) The dorm is now closed because Master's doesn't currenly need the space, since, unfortunately, attendance has been down. The guys from the dorm put on quite a good show of expressing their sadness over the closing. Think sackcloth, sad faces, and solidarity. ;)
One of my favorite professors at Master's was Todd Bolen. He was an IBEX prof and is now getting his doctorate at Dallas Theological Seminary in Texas. He posted this link to Gunner's blog, about what Gunner learned this year. I haven't really talked with Gunner (he played Frisbee a few times), but he seems to be a really cool, genuine, godly guy. I'm sure the people who actually know him would agree. Any way, here are a few things he learned last year that I thought I would post:

I learned that you don’t study for the major tests in life. They just arrive unannounced, and you realize that you were (supposed to be) preparing all along. So if you only study and train because you have scheduled tests approaching, you will be hopelessly unprepared for the unscheduled (and usually much more significant) tests in life.

I learned that you will never be a man of prayer unless you relentlessly and ruthlessly choose to be one.

I learned that self-perceived reputation tends to make you lazy, especially if you’re a man-fearer, because the goal of a man-fearer is a good reputation, and once you’ve achieved that, your only responsibility is maintenance.

I learned that complacency is encouraged by a challenge-free life.

I learned that putting things off only makes them harder, and that actually doing hard things is often easier than you expect.

I learned that I don’t get to choose all of my battles. I am responsible to fight the fights that God puts in front of me.

I learned that the search for contentment never ends, because contentment was never meant to be a search.

No comments: