Five months ago, I bought a sweet potato to make sweet potato fries. In the busyness of school and life, I left it in the plastic produce bag for a little too long. One day, upon looking in the bag, I realized that the sweet potato had not gone moldy, as regular russet potatoes do, but had sprouted leaves!
However, the sweet potato did NOT die. He survived a few more months in Aptartment 29 before being taken home to NorCal. He had a nice summer on the deck, crowding out Mom's flowers in the planter he was "sharing."
He was transplanted again into a tiny pot to make the trip down to SoCal, where he hung out with Amos for a few days. That was very sad. He did not like the little pot. His leaves turned yellow one by one, and I kept pulling them off, hoping he wouldn't die before I was able to take him home to the new apartment.
I am happy to report that he was recently relocated to a nice, big pot where he is growing very rapidly. I expect that my roommates and I should be able to eat a few sweet potatoes in a month or two, as his roots are getting to be eatin' size. Look out little sweet potato! I have plans for you...
4 comments:
By the way Jennica, my plants miss him very much and there is still an empty spot in the planter!
As far as enjoying the fruit of your labor and care, you can have it! Sweet potatoes are nasty!
Love, Mom
They are not nasty! Did you ever have sweet potato fries? They are good!
And the sweet potato's feelings are hurt. He won't come back now.
;)
Hey Jennica,
Gio is in the other room right now singing, "I am a squash, I am a squash, I am a squash..."
But back to your sweet potato...They are nasty, you can have your fries, and sweet potato plants seem to be a lot like children.
They come home for awhile, establish roots in your heart again, and then rip those roots away and leave a hole in your heart, just like the hole in my planter. (Sounds of mother weeping!) Lol, You're a good sport! Mom
MOM!!!
Post a Comment