Monday, June 22, 2009

Unique? I think not.

I had a breakthrough when I was in Yosemite. I thought about the people who like to complain about their problems but don't do anything about them. I know we are all there at some point, but the difference is in how the person ends up dealing with the problem.
There are no unique people out there. Yes they have unique personalities and such, but they all have similar problems and sins (nothing new under the sun, I suppose). The real problem is that when people see their problems or sins as being unique, they think that they can effectively exempt themselves from the solutions and/or the consequences.
"Well, yes, that solution or action sounds good and right, but my situation is different. It won't work for me. So I'm going to keep on doing this wrong thing or not doing this good thing or being a victim of the problem until God miraculously removes this from my life."
Lame. Lame. Not going to work. (Unless you die...but then you wouldn't have a life... ;) )
I guess it was such a breakthrough because that is what I do and many other people do, usually subconciously. They don't actively think that they are helpless to conquer the problem or the sin, but that is the way they act.
And it's wrong. And it's not helpful. And it's frustrating. And we wonder why the problem won't just LEAVE.
Ha.
'Cuz it's easier to sit under an umbrella in the living room than to patch the leaking roof.
It ain't easy. But that's no surprise.
God never promised that life and its problems would be easy. But He did say He would never leave us nor forsake us. He'll be there to hand you the boards to patch the leaking roof.
And this analogy is done. I hope it helps someone out there. Ditch the umbrella and pick up the hammer. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"Unless you die...but then you wouldn't have a life"
:D
As you can see, you make me smile.
I did like the analogy, by the way. I don't know why anyone would rather use an umbrella than a hammer, though. Umbrellas can be so irritating sometimes - they won't open properly, they won't close properly, they get caught on things, they flip inside-out in the wind . . . its all-around easier to just whack a few nails into place, in my opinion :)

Jennica - Ayelet said...

I think it's really funny when they flip inside-out...and I never bother with them, any way... ;)

Durbanville said...

"I hope it helps someone out there."

Jennica, thanks. :-)

Durbanville said...

P.S. I'm still waiting for a big red dot to show up on New Zealand, on your viewing map.